Open access truly expands shared knowledge across scientific fields; it is the best path for accelerating multi-disciplinary breakthroughs in research.
What is Open Access?
By Open Access, we mean the free, immediate, availability on the public Internet of those works which scholars give to the world without expectation of payment, permitting any user to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search or link to the full text of these articles.
Why Open Access?
Funders invest in research in order to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, encourage innovation, enrich education, and stimulate the economy to improve the public good. They recognize that broad access to the results of research is an essential component of the research process itself. Research advances only through sharing of results, and the value of an investment in research is only maximized through wide use of its results.
Yet, too often, research results are not available to the broadest community of potential users. The Jacobs Publisher Open access journals provide a new opportunity to bring information to a wider audience at virtually no marginal cost, and allow them to use it in new, innovative ways. This has resulted in a call for new framework to allow research results to be more easily accessed and used.
- Open access publishing promotes knowledge transfer by mouse click to global scientific community; users can discuss the articles in their research communities.
- Open access publishing covers various initiatives and projects across the globe to make academic studies and results available to a wider readership.
- In an Open Access publishing model the author retains the copyright, manuscripts are published relatively quickly, they are peer-reviewed by experts and quality will be maintained.
- As open access publications has given unrestricted access, free of charge to world, even people in poorer countries who usually lack the financial means can access and use them.
- Open access includes the increased visibility and citability of publications and all the other advantages of digital use, such as availability anytime, anywhere, being easier to find using search engines and the option of saving, copying and printing an article by user.
- In a one word Open access is a driving force to bring research work online to global scientific world.